Sanmuga Nathan was senior lecturer in Department Sports Science at the Sultan Idris Education University (Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris/UPSI), Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia. He lectured in the area of Physical Education, Sports Science and Track and Field. Sanmuga supervised students for undergraduate, masters and PhD programmes. Graduated five PhD students mainly in the area of TGfU as a main supervisor and four students as a co-supervisor. Able to graduated more than 40 masters students and large group of undergraduate students too.
Sanmuga completed his PhD at the Science University of Malaysia (USM) in the area of TGfU and Mosston Teaching Styles and served as a schoolteacher more than 21 years since 1987 as well as school coach, state, national and international track and field team. Sanmuga move to Sultan Idris Education University as a senior lecturer in 2008 and 2018, he was conferred the Associate Professor title by the Sultan Idris Education University
Sanmuga is currently track and field coaching chairman and Sports Council Advisor for the state of Penang, Malaysia. Sanmuga has the experienced coaching the Malaysian school athletes, junior and senior athletes of Malaysia and former sports school coordinator. Sanmuga also guides track and field and game coaches.
Sanmuga’s research interests include teaching-learning and coaching-training methodology. Sanmuga has written numerous articles in regards to TGfU, Non-linear pedagogy within Physical Education and Coaching context. Sanmuga too developed a pedagogical model known as Style E Tactical pedagogical model, an electric pedagogical model with combination of TGfU approach and Style E (Inclusion Style) from Mosston and Ashworth Spectrum of Teaching Styles. Have written numerous books in the national language of Malaysia including secondary school textbook and written book chapters in the international books such as Advanced Learning and Teaching Environments.
Sanmuga apart from disseminating knowledge of TGfU in Malaysia, he also conducted international research and disseminated the knowledge of TGfU while conducting field hockey research with India youth hockey team along with Prof. GL Khanna the pro-vice Chancellor of SGT university and Indian national coaches.
First of all, I would like to thank one and all especially Prof. David Gutierrez for giving me the opportunity to represent Malaysia on the TGfU IAB platform. This platform will open up numerous opportunity to expand the use of TGfU in Malaysia. In my role in as senior lecturer at the University Pendidikan Sultan Idris (Sultan Idris Educational University), I have have promoted and produced many PhD , Masters and undergraduate scholars, in the area of TGfU in Malaysia. Similarly, other universities and Teachers Training Colleges in the process of disseminating the knowledge of TGfU approach to their students. Additionally TGfU, has been a part of games learning approach in Malaysian School Curriculum both primary and secondary school. However, the integration of TGfU into coaching area needs further affords to be done in Malaysia
Specifically these are my goals as a member of the TGfU IAB :
1) Further disseminate the knowledge of TGfU as Game Centered Approaches (GBAs) to primary school children and secondary school students within the Malaysian Standard Curriculum Framework. As well as promote the TGfU approach among children and youth learning games in the village incorporate with Traditional Sport Game (TSG) as a their recreational sport and educational activities in Malaysia.
2) Further support the development of TGfU as pedagogical research avenues for students in the universities and colleges in Malaysia. This can be done by sharing TGfU experience with university and college lectures and students in Malaysia
3) Collaborate and support the Malaysian Ministry of Education in implementing and further improving TGfU approach in Malaysian schools
4) Hope to help and educate games coaches in Malaysia to integrate TGfU in their coaching process.
5) Finally help to strengthen the TGfU components perhaps integrating with Traditional Sports Game (TSG) and disseminate the knowledge TGfU through joint research programs and seminars promoting TGfU across the globe